Popular Services

Use for general requests to the Campus Solutions team

Used for general requests to the NDUS CTS HRMS team

Use this request for: Multiple EMPLIDs, External Org (Schools/Businesses) Codes, Service Indicators, etc.

Use this service to open a Financial System Support ticket to the NDUS CTS FIN team.

Submit user/security group requests

Submit general questions or project requests

Request for support of enterprise-level software applications managed by Enterprise Services (ESA)

If you can't find a service for what you're requesting, please use this general service.
Examples: DNS changes, static IP changes, etc.

ACT supports Tegrity, Blackboard Collaborate Ultra, and Moodle for all of NDUS. ACT also supports Hoonuit and Qualtrics for NDUS SO and CTS.

Request a change or activation of a Network Connection

Request the creation of a firewall rule or rules

If you can't find a service for what you're requesting, please use this general service.

This form is intended as a general communication path for site users with questions or comments about the construction, organization, or elements of the NDUS TeamDynamix portal.

Request a new VPN group or revise an existing VPN group. VPN group additions or changes need approval.

Use this service to request access be added/changed/removed in Ad Astra

If a physical or virtual server in the NDUS environment is no longer needed, use this form to request that it be removed from service.

This request is used to add, change, or remove VPN access for all services EXCEPT Perceptive Content for a Campus or CTS employee.

Please fill out this form when requesting a file/folder restore.

This form is to report issues with the NDUS Secure File Transfer Application MoveIT-Transfer

Request a new account, a change to an existing account, or the deactivation of an account in SPOL.

For reporting issues or asking questions about the NDUS SharePoint environment

Submit a 1901.3 request. For additional information and the process for submitting a request for approval, see SBHE Policy 1901.3 and NDUS Procedure 1901.3. More information can be found on the NDUS website under the Policy & Procedures section.

Report System/Performance issues to the NDUS CTS FIN Team.